GiveIndia & Deloitte partner with CII to develop sector report on Education

Category: , , , ,

Reactions: 


Dignitaries at the Report Launch
In India today, roughly 96% of all children in the age group of 6 to 14 years are enrolled in school. This leaves only 4% of our children who never start school. Not so bad, right?

This 4% accounts for nearly 8 million children and let’s just say in a country of a few billions, a few millions don’t really count. However, what’s alarming is the state of those 96% privileged children.  61% of children enrolled in class III cannot read class I text. 46% of all children in class V could not read class II text. There are close to 1.4 million teacher posts that are vacant today. There are still 17% of total schools where there is no access to drinking water. Out of those 96%, 57% don’t even complete primary education because of all the things that are wrong, just plain wrong!

Urgent Needs of NGOs in the Education Sector
The core of the issue is that despite the various government schemes, advocacy and awareness programs, India still faces serious challenges in the field of education in the form of lack of teachers or low quality of education, infrastructure or pedagogy or curriculum structure. GiveIndia & Deloitte partnered with Confederation of Indian Industry to release a report on ‘Urgent Needs of NGOsin the Education Sector. The report was released by Hon. Shashi Tharoor.

The report not only highlights the need for an urgent intervention but also suggests remedial and corrective measures to build a more robust education system in the country. It provides a reference point to government authorities and policy makers with well researched and documented information to plan and implement corrective measures. It also makes available actionable information to various donors and corporate who are looking to support need based education initiatives.

As part of the research, seventeen NGOs enrolled with GiveIndia which work directly with poor beneficiaries were interviewed for the survey. The findings highlight the urgent need for intervention at both policy and society level. The keys findings and recommendations can be accessed at –  http://bit.ly/ZZxcq2

Comments (0)